Use skim milk and low fat cream cheese to lower the saturated fat and calories in this special-occasion cake.
|2 1/4 cups
|2 1/4 teaspoons
|1 1/4 cups
||low fat cream cheese|
||sifted confectioners sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Grease with small amount of cooking oil or use nonstick cooking oil spray on a 10-inch round pan (at least 2 1/2 inches high). Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
- Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done. Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before icing.
- Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa. Blend well.
- Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
Yield: 16 servings--Serving size: 1 slice
Each serving provides:Calories: 241
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Sodium: 273 mg
Calcium: 70 mg
Iron: 2 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|