Skimming the fat off the chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means that this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
||chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top|
||uncooked long-grain white rice|
||finely chopped onion|
||finely chopped green pepper|
||finely chopped celery|
||sliced water chestnuts|
- Bring water and stock to a boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
- Saute onion and celery over moderate heat 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.
Yield: 10 servings--Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 86 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|