Small amount of margarine and orange juice give these yams lots of flavor but little fat.
||yams (1 1/2 cups) |
||brown sugar, packed |
||flour, sifted |
||ground cinnamon |
||ground nutmeg |
||orange peel |
||soft tub margarine |
||orange juice |
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender but firm (about 20 minutes).
- When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350° F for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings--Serving size: 1/4 cup
Fat less than 1 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 115 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|