Sweet and Sour Seashells
Draining the marinade before serving keeps the fat and sodium low in this cold pasta salad.
||uncooked small seashell macaroni (9 cups cooked)|
|2 oz jar
||onions thinly sliced|
- Cook macaroni in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl. Place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimento in blender. Process at low speed 15-20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen. Pour over macaroni.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Add to pasta with onion slices. Toss well.
- Marinate, covered, in refrigerator 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Drain and serve on lettuce.
Yield: 18 servings--Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 33 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|