This stew is a great way to use summer vegetables in a new way.
||vegetable bouillon, low sodium |
||white potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips|
||carrots, sliced |
||summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares |
||summer squash, cut in 4 chunks |
|1 15-oz can
||sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1 1/2 cups) |
||garlic, minced |
||scallion, chopped |
||hot pepper, chopped |
||onion, coarsely chopped |
||tomatoes, diced |
(Add other favorite vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
- Heat water and bouillon in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove 4 chunks of squash and purée in blender.
- Return puréed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let sit for minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Makes 8 servings--Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
Fat 1 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 196 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|