Black Beans with Rice
A delicious Caribbean favorite that is cholesterol free and made with very little added fat.
||dry black beans|
||medium green pepper, coarsely chopped|
||vegetable oil |
||clove garlic, minced|
||vinegar (or lemon juice)|
||rice, cooked in unsalted water|
||(4 oz) sliced pimento, drained|
||lemon cut into wedges|
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 8 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 193 mg
Advertisement and Marketing via Internet
|Source: NHLBI - LDL lowering cholesterol diet|