Spaghetti with Turkey Meat Sauce
Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey, and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
||nonstick cooking spray |
||ground turkey |
||(28 oz) tomatoes, cut up |
||finely chopped green pepper |
||finely chopped onion |
||garlic, minced |
||dried oregano, crushed |
||black pepper |
||spaghetti, uncooked |
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 5 oz sauce and 9 oz spaghetti
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 280 mg